Friday, July 22, 2022

Alumni Kia Davis

 

Kia Davis alumni of the West End unit of Meridian, Mississippi



What is your all time favorite memory from your time at the Club?
"I have so many wonderful memories of my BGC, however the one that stands to the forefront would be the Michael Jackson concerts Mr. Hood used to have for us knowing good and well, it wasn't the actual Michael Jackson !!! LOL but we enjoyed it all the same! And even one of the props (a casket) stayed in one of the gym bathrooms for the longest after one of the concerts. Good times, good times!"
What was the most valuable lesson you learned at the Club?
"I've received so many valuable life lessons at my BGC that are still applicable to this very day! But one that Mr. Hood has constantly repeated to me was that "Everyone can't go where YOU are going!" And it was never to talk down or demean my friends, but it was to emphasize the potential that I had within myself. Potential that, of course, I couldn't see at the time and sometimes may still struggle to see today.  
The path that I am currently walking on is not for anyone but me. Not my mom, dad, or sister. And the statement rings true even more now, for I must travel out the country to finish my education. As much as I don't want to go because of the comfort of being at home with my family, friends, and loved ones, I have to go to get where I want to be in life! My family, friends, and loved ones can HELP me get there but I have to DO it on my own.  
I have to put in the hard work and effort to reap the benefits! Remembering the lessons I've received at the BGC and all the one on one talks with Mr. Hood and so many supportive group leaders reminds me that not only do I work hard for myself, but also for my community! I have to set an example that young black men and women CAN do exactly what I am doing. It isn't easy at all but it is POSSIBLE!"

 In three words, what did the Club mean to you?

"Necessary, Family, and Home"

 How did the Club impact your future?

"Whew, this is a good one. I could write a book on how my BGC impacted and influenced me. But to simplify as much as possible, the club never gave up on me. Even when I may have been tired and wanted to give up on myself, there was never an excuse good enough that they would accept. 
The club saw the potential and the fire burning within me and fed the fire so that nothing would be strong enough to put that fire out. That's how strongly I feel about becoming a doctor and changing how my people see healthcare. The Club taught me to stand up for myself and to be proud of who I am. I am a representation of my family, community and for the younger generation who looks up to me. I am able to look people(s) in the eyes and speak confidently about matters in which I am educated.  
No one can intimidate me because I know of my own abilities and the power of my presence when I walk in a room with people striving for the same or similar goals as me. I walk with a pep in my step because the club told me I was somebody for years and I believe it! It's not cockiness, but confidence, something a lot of grown people lack! You couldn't pay a life coach and get what I got from my BGC. You just couldn't! You had to be there to understand what my BGC means to me!!"
EDUCATIONAL/CAREER TIMELINE

  • Meridian High School (2015) 
  • Jackson State University (2015-2019) - Bachelors of Science in Biology, Minor in Chemistry
  • W.E.B Dubois Honors College (2015-2019)
  • Presidential JSU Academic Scholarship (2015-2019)
  • Alpha Lambda Delta National Honor Society (2016)
  • Beta XI Chapter of Lambda Sigma Honor Society (2016)
  • Pre-Health Club of Jackson State University (2016)
  • First in the World Multidisciplinary Project (2016-2017)
  • Meharry Medical College Bridge to Doctorate Scholar (2017-2018)
  • Society of Women Engineers, Jackson State University Chapter (2017) 
  • Jackson State University (2019-2021) - Masters of Science in Biology
  • Louis Stokes Mississippi Alliance of Minority Participation Scholar
  • Student Marshall of College of Computer, Science, Engineering and Technology Class of 2021

 CURRENT

  • American University of Antigua College of Medicine- candidate for Medical Doctor degree





No comments:

Post a Comment